How to get Spellbound spell checker working with Firefox 1.5.0.1

UPDATE: As Jeff of The Curt Jester pointed out, the latest Google toolbar for Firefox has a great spell checking functionality. I’ve been playing with it and will probably be uninstalling Spelbound in favor of it soon. Unlike Spellbound, you just install it and it works.

UPDATE AGAIN: Well, as you can see the Google bar spell check functionality doesn’t play nice with the WordPress WYSIWYG editor.  Oh well……  I’ll leave this post the way it is to serve as a warning to you all.  Well, at least anyone who uses WordPress.

I had to search far and wide to find this, so I thought I would post it here in the hopes of making it easier for others to find it. Firefox is of course the browser that’s taking the web by storm. As often as I comment on websites as well as post here (well, maybe not so often) and as dyslexic as I am, I have to have a spell checker in my browser. I had found the solution with spellbound. The problem is this, when I updated to Firefox version 1.5.0.1, spellbound broke. I mean broke in a big way. I tried installing the latest from their website, but it refused to install saying that it was incompatible with the Firefox version. I know how to fix that, by downloading and modifying the config file that comes with the Firefox extension. But I wasn’t sure if there might not be a reason this extension doesn’t work with the new version of Firefox, so I decided to research it a little. What I found it totally awesome. The latest development version (meaning “beta”) of spellbound would not only work fine with Firefox 1.5.0.1, but it also adds a lot of neat new features including “as you type” checking. COOL!

Here’s what you need to do to get it installed. This of course assumes you already know how to install and uninstall Firefox extensions. If you don’t you need to learn how to do that first by reading this. First uninstall the old version of spellbound. I didn’t have to restart Firefox at this point, but I would suggest you go ahead and do that just to be on the safe side. Then go here to find the latest dev version of the extension and install it. You’ll find the link in a forum post at the top. Just click on the words “Install SpellBound Dev” here or on that website. That will start the install of the extension. You’ll need to allow the site in your preferences. To this, you should see a bar at the top of the browser window that says “To protect you computer, Firefox prevented this site”..etc…. Just click on “Edit Options”. A new box will appear that will ask you to edit your security preferences. Click on “allow site”, then “OK”. All this does it allow you to install extensions from the server they are located on. It does not give anything access to you computer. If you’ve had to go though all this to allow the site, you will need to click on the download link again.

At this point, you’ll need to follow the instructions int he pop-up box to install the extension. Think you’re finished? Think again. Now you need to install a dictionary. Go to the website here to see and install the available be dictionaries. You might have to go through the above procedure to allow the site and install these too, as they are also simply extensions for Firefox.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there so they don’t have to go through the Googling and guesswork I did. Have fun and happy spell checking.

This entry was posted in computers, geek, web. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to How to get Spellbound spell checker working with Firefox 1.5.0.1

1. Thank you very much for this excellent piece of information. I could not get Spellbound to update from the Extension Box; even though I knew that an upgrade was available. Your post led me directly to the download page.

I just installed version 0.9.8.2260108 and it works beautifully with Firefox 1.5.0.1. As you correctly posted, Spellbound corrects your spelling as you write, following the path of MS Word. Version 0.7.3 was good, but this new version is excellent.

Thanks again for you helping hand. I know many of your readers will take advantage of your post.

Regards,

Omar.-

2. Marc says:

Thank you for the feedback Omar. It’s nice to know this was helpful to someone.

3. Damien says:

Wow, I did not even know about this plugin and how incredibly useful it might be. I generally only have the Web Developer plugin installed, but this is Spell checker is nice.

Thank you for the directions on installing it. I was able to get it working right away.

4. Jeff Miller says:

I use to use spellbound before the update broke it. It was always a little temperamental in installing. An easier solution is the new Google toolbar for Firefox which now includes really good form spellchecking.

5. Marc says:

WOW….I never even noticed that spell check button in the Google toolbar. That pretty cool. I’ll have to give it a spin.

6. Pingback: is | Spellbound spell checker - Firefox 1.5.0.1

7. Cal says:

Thanks!!! I have yet to get any spell checker working in wordsmith (Which is all I really use it for) that would leave the rest of my install alone. Spellbound is so much better then any I’ve tried and it’s browser wide.

8. Pingback: Brightrock » Blog Archive » Spell-checking in web forms

9. Marc says:

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. I really appreciate it. I’m glad this was useful to some folks.

10. Joe says:

You may already have noticed, but the Spellbound extension is going to be included as a standard feature with Firefox 2.x: Inline Spell Check

Robert Strong (aka rob_strong, Robert S.) now works with Firefox development.

11. Pingback: Somewhere out there! » Spellbound and Firefox 1.5.0.1

12. Deborah says:

A huge thank you for sorting this out. Ever since the firefox upgrade, I have been googling spell checks etc. I couldn’t rest until I found something to work. I opted to download the spellbound, and since following you instructions, it works like a dream. Thanks so much for your help!

13. GTM says:

Excellent. Thank you.

14. Rich C says:

Got SpellBound to install and appears to function in FireFox 1.5.0.1 but it can’t seem to find the dictionary (English-US) I install. FireFox 1.5.0.1 says it installs the dictionary but it never shows up in the list of extensions (should it?). I am using two versions of FireFox (1.0.7 and 1.5.0.1) using the MOZ_NO_REMOTE feature in a batch file as you described on this site. SpellBound is installed in the 1.0.7 version and works fine there. Any ideas why SpellBound can’t seem to find the dictionary in FireFox 1.5.0.1?

15. Rich C says:

Never mind. I missed that I had to select the dictionary from the bottom of the spell check window.

16. Steve Hall says:

The red links in this post don’t work. Are they ads? The real links are the same color-style as the main text making it very difficult to find the real links in this post :-(

17. Marc says:

The red lettered words are not links. That’s where the Google spell checker screwed up the formating of this post as I mentioned. I am working on getting links in my post more “noticeable”, but I am not CSS expert and every time I try to fix it, not only does it not fix it, but it breaks something else.

18. Stéphane says:

Bonjour,

Excellent, thanks a lot, merci beaucoup, I do appreciate: my student’s posts (in French) have less of those horrible mistakes they did since the spellchecker didn’t work anymore. Hope my post doesn’t have too many English mistakes!

Stéphane -:)

19. Marc says:

De rien! Your English is fine.

20. Pingback: The LOdown » Blog Archive » New Spellbound Spelling Checker for Firefox 1.5

21. Paul says:

Marc, I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus, in thanks for your very helpful post. Since I installed the latest Firefox update, I’ve really missed the spell-check feature I used to have. Searching on google led me to this post and now I am pleased as punch.

By the way, not only did your post have useful information, it was also well written and exceedingly easy to follow.

22. Pingback: jossblog » Word press and spell checker

23. joss says:

Marc you are a star. Thanks very much for the detailed heads up on how to get spellbound working once again. Many thanks.

24. Grace says:

Hi,

Thank you sooo much! I was totally dying without spell check.

Your instructions were super easy to understand and follow. I just downloaded it to my desktop, opened up the extensions box, dragged it to the extensions box, it works like a charm. :)

You’re awesome!!!

Thank you!!!!

G

25. matchosan says:

thanks Marc for writing this tutorial, and thanks to Rich C for pointing out the drop down menu with the dictionary’s. With which without I would still be installing and uninstalling for the umpteenth time.

Been using Spellbound since its release, and can’t live without it.

Thanks again y’all

26. Pingback: Technicalities

27. Teresa says:

Marc – wanted to thank you for posting this. I have put off upgrading to Firefox 1.5.* because I didn’t want to lose the spell checker and didn’t have time to try to figure it out. Today I had a few minutes and started googling, which led me here. Excellent directions, worked like a charm. My laptop is now updated and my desktop will be by tonight. This is outstanding.

28. Using latest 1.5.4 Firfox. I installed Spellbound and dictionary. It shows on my FF Menu and when I, “Check Spelling,” it fails to find anything!

When running a spell check on this message, even when I intentinally mispell several words here the spell check fails to catch it.

What am I missing?

29. Marc says:

Chris – Make sure you have a dictionary installed and selected at the bottom of the spell check window. I think Rich C had a similar problem above.

30. I have installed the dictionary but not sure what you mean by the spell check window?

31. Rich says:

Thank you so much for this helpful guide! I searched everywhere to figure this out. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow. Thanks again!!

32. Chris says:

Does anybody have this working on an Intel Mac with the latest OS?
    My Spell Checker is installed but does not work on my Intel Mac.

33. Marc says:

Does anybody have this working on an Intel Mac with the latest OS?
    My Spell Checker is installed but does not work on my Intel Mac.

Well no. It looks like there is a problem with the plugin that prevents it from working on the new Intel Macs. Yes, this means I can’t use it either. How’s that for irony.

34. Chris says:

>>Does anybody have this working on an Intel Mac with the latest OS?
    My Spell Checker is installed but does not work on my Intel Mac.

35. Pingback: How to get Spellbound spell checker working with Firefox 1.5.0.1 at Wild Tangents at Wild Tangents

36. mark says:

hi were do we find these dictionaries ?
    I have installed the Dev, cant find the dictionaries.

37. Marc says:

hi were do we find these dictionaries ?

Find the following sentence above….

“Go to the website here to see and install the available be dictionaries.”

Click on the word “here” in it.

38. mark says:

Thank you Marc for your quick reply it now works very well.
    I will share the info with my mates in Australia :)

39. Daniel says:

<p>I couldn’t understand some parts of this article o get Spellbound spell checker working with Firefox 1.5.0.1 at Wild Tangents, but I guess I just need to check some more resources regarding this, because it sounds interesting.</p>

Editor Note:The spammy link was removed.

40. Marc says:

Daniel – Can you let me know what I can do to improve this post so spammers like you can undersand it?

41. Debty says: